The 2014 "Berlin Master Chef" Nominees
Yesterday, an independent, 14-member jury of leading gourmet journalists and industry representatives nominated five candidates each in the following categories: "Berlin Master Chef 2014," "Brandenburg Master Chef 2014," "Newcomer of the Year 2014," "Best Berlin Restaurant 2014" and "Most Fashionable Berlin Restaurant 2014."
Melanie Bähr, Managing Director of Berlin Partner: "I was delighted to hear the nominees for the 2014 Berlin Master Chef awards. They showcase the tremendous talent available on Berlin's creative scene. Congratulations to all the culinary creatives! These nominees represent the sheer quality and strength of restaurant culture in Berlin – and they are also an important image factor for the capital region. Outstanding culinary quality generates new visitors for Berlin and also inspires and enriches the entire economy. Twenty-five years after the fall of the Wall, Berlin now finds itself among the absolute top class."
Dr. Stefan Franzke, Managing Director of Berlin Partner: "It's exciting to see how Berlin's restaurant culture has become such an important lifestyle and economic factor that consolidates the city's reputation as a leading global metropolis. I'm looking forward to meeting all the creative culinary talent at this year's Master Chefs."
Jury chairman Dr. Stefan Elfenbein on the selection process behind this year's nominees: "76 candidates submitted by the jury, three hours of discussion, 76 votes and a bright new face in the jury! This year's 25 nominees show once again how Berlin continues to become even more colorful and international. On our current best-of list are not only new restaurants from major stars, such as Pierre Gagnaire, Albert Raurich ("Dos Palillos") and Paco Peréz – i.e. a Belgian, an Englishman and a three-headed multicultural team – but also a Frenchman at the helm of Charlottenburg's best new restaurant and a fashionable Austrian restaurant that already enjoys cult status in Mitte. In other words, the world has joined us for dinner here in Berlin, but it's also cooking up a storm itself and providing entertainment on the highest level possible. For us as a jury, we have a great new addition in Alexandra Kilian from the Berliner Morgenpost newspaper: her engaging and thorough coverage of Berlin's gastronomy scene guaranteed her a place at the table."
The winners of the "Berlin Master Chefs 2014" will be announced at a press conference on September 10, 2014. On November 8, 2014, the "Berlin Master Chefs 2014" will be honored at an exclusive gala dinner.
Here are the nominees for this year:
Berlin Master Chef 2014:
- Daniel Achilles, "Reinstoff"
- Sonja Frühsammer, "Frühsammers"
- Matthias Gleiß, "VOLT"
- Roel Lintermans, "LES SOLISTES by Pierre Gagnaire", Waldorf Astoria Berlin
- Markus Semmler, "Das Restaurant Markus Semmler"
Brandenburg Master Chef 2014:
- Thomas Kasper, "Arlecchin", Potsdam
- Ulrike Laun, "Landlust Körzin", Beelitz
- Carsten Obermayr, "Die Orangerie", Schloss Ziethen, Kremmen
- Carsten Rettschlag, "Juliette", Potsdam
- Patrick Schwatke, "kochZIMMER", Beelitz
Newcomer of the Year 2014:
- Kevin Alder, "Dos Palillos", Casa Camper Berlin
- Stephan Hentschel, "Cookies Cream"
- Michael Jäger, "La Soupe Populaire Tim Raue"
- Sascha Ludwig, "Filetstück – Das Gourmetstück"
- Marcus Zimmer, "Restaurant am Steinplatz", Hotel am Steinplatz
Berlin Restaurant of the Year 2014:
- Peter Frühsammer, "Frühsammers" (Maître & Sommelier)
- Boris Häbel, "Lorenz Adlon Esszimmer", Hotel Adlon Kempinski Berlin (Maître)
- Marian Henss, "5 – Cinco by Paco Pérez", Hotel "Das Stue" (Sommelier)
- Oliver Körber, "Alt Luxemburg" (Maître & Sommelier)
- Régis Lamazère, "Brasserie Lamazère"(Maître)
Most Fashionable Berlin Restaurant 2014:
- "Bandol sur Mer"
- "NENI Restaurant / Monkey Bar", 25hours Hotel BIKINI BERLIN
- "The Grand"
The winners of prior "Berlin Master Chefs" since its inception in 1997 are featured in a chroni-cle. The nomination process focuses on candidates who have not yet been honored as part of the "Berlin Master Chef" awards.
Your contact partner is
Head of Unit Berlin-Partner Network
Phone +49 30 46302-328
The "Berlin Master Chefs" are on Facebook at www.facebook.com/BerlinerMeisterkoeche